Thursday, November 17, 2005

WWDD ??

What would dad do?

So after my truck was overflowing with leaves, I broke down and bought 2 paks of leave bags at ACE Hardware. $2.99 for a pak of 5. I filled them up last weekend and have been tormenting myself all week about them getting wet in the rain and how i was going to be able to save them to use next year, where I'd store them, how small i could fold them, etc etc etc. Surely i should be able to use these bags more than once !!

all the way to the dump this morning i'm strugling to justify throwing away $5.98 with my leaves (that I'm not even composting...but thats a whole nother rant) and what would my dad say ?

I decided on the way over that they were going to get tossed and I was going to not think about it any more. I'll buy new bags next year if i need to.

So i jump up on the truck and immediately start emptying the bags out, inspecting them as "not that bad" just a little wet and rationailze that i'll only keep 5 bags, hang them out to dry during the day, and fold them up,

At the end of the day, i just couldn't bring myself to actually throw away "perfectly good " trash bags. Thanks a lot dad...and grampa too for that matter !!! :-) Some things you just can't "unlearn"

3 comments:

Matthew said...

::Random Passerby::
As long as you will reuse them, it's definitely worth the time and effort. My mom keeps everything from boxes to used papers, and we never use them. They're all space-takers. I'm glad we cleaned out her house and made much more space pass few weekends.

Read your post on gas price. I'm in Orlando, Fl, and the price has yet to drop below $2.22 It's about $2.29 now give or take several cents.

Tim said...

yeah...all I'm saying is that i should be able to just let it go. it's not the money, its the principle and that's what you (as your parents kid) can't easily escape from.

Tim said...

UPDATE - They were recycled over the weekend...there just was no room in the garage and it's already snowed so leave season is over !!